The best part about carving a pumpkin? Getting to roast the seeds! At least for me 🙂 I have memories of doing this with my mom and papaw as a kid, and this is how they did it. These have the perfect amount of saltines and crunchiness, and you can eat the whole thing… shell and all. Our family has literally been fighting over the bowl of these since we finished dinner lol. My daughter doesn’t even like the pumpkin seeds you can buy at the store so that says something! These are way better than the ones you can buy and are SO easy.
Perfect Roasted Pumpkin Seeds:
- Pumpkin seeds, separated from pumpkin flesh and rinsed
- Cooking spray/oil
- Put your seeds into a bowl, sprinkle with a generous amount of salt. You don’t really have to measure but I would guess I use about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon per cup of seeds. I like to use sea salt but whatever kind you have will work great.
- Add just enough water to cover the seeds. Let soak 1-2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with foil, spray foil with cooking spray or rub with olive oil.
- Drain your seeds but do not rinse them, spread out evenly on prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with a little extra salt. I used kosher salt for this step.
- Place into preheated oven, stir seeds around every 5 minutes for even browning. The seeds are done when they are golden brown. It took about 15 minutes for our oven but could vary, just keep an eye on them.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
If you want you could add herbs/spices when you sprinkle the salt onto these, but they are so good this way we have never tried adding anything else. I hope you enjoy this simple but yummy recipe from our family!
P.S. I found this photo being passed around on Facebook, many great reasons to eat pumpkin seeds! It mentions that they are high in magnesium, most Americans are deficient in magnesium and it is needed for over 200 functions in the body.