The flu is going around like crazy! We have been dealing with it in our house for several weeks now. My daughter and I are past the worst part now, thank God! There was one day we were both very weak with very high fevers. I was so happy I had made some of this homemade Pedialyte the day before. This is a great way to save yourself some money and a trip to the store. You can also flavor this any way you want! I know there are quite a few recipes out there but this is how we do it:
- 8 cups water (I prefer to use distilled water, I always have some on hand)
- 1/4 cup honey (you can also use sugar but we try to stay away from extra sugar and the honey has added benefits)
- 1 teaspoon SEA salt (contains important minerals that table salt does not, you could also use Himalayan salt which would be even better)
- Juice of an orange, lemon or lime (optional but has even more benefits, like Vitamin C)
- Crystal Light or Kool-aid powder for flavor (also optional, we love the lemon Crystal Light with Stevia)
Combine all ingredients in a pitcher, stir until salt and honey have dissolved. Store in refrigerator.
We also love to make this into popsicles, great for when you or your child is burning up from a fever. When my daughter is sick I make sure she takes a sip of this every 10 minutes or so. Best served chilled.
Warning: Honey is not considered safe for children less than a year old.
Also a quick update on my cousin Joe… (I mentioned in the First Birthday post about how he had a massive heart attack) Miraculously he has no serious brain damage, his heart is working on its own and it looks like he will be okay! He still has to get through heart surgery on Thursday so he is a long way from full recovery, but I am just so happy and thankful he is still with us. If anyone could send some positive thoughts or prayers his way I would really appreciate it